• Lost Since Jan 1

KennyThomas
    15.8 lbs33.0 lbs

• Recent Comments

• Recent Posts

• Polls

Who will win the TwoFatBrothers.com 2008 Weight Loss Challenge Championship?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...
  • « Kenny’s Week 3 Weigh-in | Main | Lose Weight Too Fast and you Might get Raped by a Llama »

Bas Rutten’s Mixed Martial Arts Workout

By Thomas | January 24, 2008

Bas Rutten’s Mixed Martial Arts WorkoutOn the weekdays, I don’t have time to go to the mountains. It’s almost dark when I get home from work and I want to spend quality time with my wife and son. So I had to figure out a way to get a quick workout in the evening on weekdays. Enter Bas Rutten.

Bas Rutten is an MMA (Mixed Martial Arts) Legend: former King of Pancrase, former UFC Heavyweight Champion, longtime PrideFC announcer and a former IFL coach. Now he is training Kimbo Slice for MMA and working as a sportscaster. This guy knows a lot about fighting and being in top shape.

Several years ago, he released a workout program on cd called Bas Rutten’s Mixed Martial Arts Workout. There are four cds: boxing, Thai boxing, MMA and All-round Workout. I’ve been working out with the Thai boxing cd. It has two tracks: track 1 is ten 2-minute rounds, track 2 is seven 3-minute rounds.

The workout is pretty straightforward. Bas Rutten calls out punching/kicking combinations, and you perform them. He insists that each punch, knee or kick be thrown with “100% knockout power”. Since every punch you throw is full power, it builds muscle strength and endurance and wears you the hell out. You wouldn’t believe how many combinations can fit into 2 minutes.

When I first tried Bas Rutten’s Mixed Martial Arts Workout, I was dead after three rounds. Now I’ve worked up to where I can do all ten two-minute rounds or all seven three-minute rounds (but not both! ..yet). If you do the math, one workout adds up to about 30 minutes, and it is an intense cardio workout. It’s extremely fun. And you can do it at home.

I recommend Bas Rutten’s Mixed Martial Arts Workout to anyone who wants to get in shape. You’ll lose weight, get stronger, build endurance and let out your aggression. You can get it here or directly from Bas Rutten’s website here. Those aren’t affiliate links. I don’t make anything if you click on them. This is a program I truly recommend from the bottom of my heart.

Topics: Weight Loss Challenge 2008 |

8 Responses to “Bas Rutten’s Mixed Martial Arts Workout”

1. Kenny Says:
      January 24th, 2008 at 2:25 pm

Hey! I’ve been looking for my CD’s! Send them back to me.

2. b, the better body blogger Says:
      January 24th, 2008 at 5:37 pm

Yes, I LOVE the UFC. And yes, I am a girl (but who doesn’t love Georges St. Pierre?). Blame it on my boyfriend for making me watch just about every UFC pay-per-view ever created. (Tip to all you guys out there - if you make your significant other watch UFC/football/baseball etc. long enough, she’ll eventually like it)
      I have the Bas workouts at home - but I’ve been too scared to use them for fear that I won’t be able to walk for days afterward (I’m not sure if my Tae-Bo workouts have sufficiently prepared me for Bas? :) )But since reading your review Thomas, I think I’ll give it a shot.

3. Thomas Says:
      January 24th, 2008 at 10:07 pm

@Kenny: I only have the Thai Boxing one. At least that’s the only one I have here in Japan. The other ones are sure to be in Texas.

@b, the better body blogger: I definitely recommend giving it a shot. You will be able to walk afterward - throwing knees isn’t that hard on your leg muscles. I’ll try to make my wife watch more UFC. Thanks for the tip.

4. Kenny Says:
      January 25th, 2008 at 11:56 am

@b, Chicks who watch the UFC are hot. And chicks who work out to Bas Rutten are even hotter. I can’t believe you even know who Bas is much less have his workout tapes. You complete me. Seriously, You have to do them. Today. You won’t be sore. Just do the boxing CD and keep track with a pen and paper how you feel after each round, on a scale of 1-10 of how tired you are. Save your results in a little notebook and track your progress. Like Tommy says, at first they are pretty challenging, but pretty soon, you get better and better and you can move to 3 minute rounds or add kicks in the tai boxing CD.

5. b, the betterbodyblogger Says:
      January 26th, 2008 at 3:24 am

Kenny,
      Yes, I have the tapes. I hate leotard-aerobics, so I always try and get good kick-ass workouts, like Kung Fu or something, instead. I’ll give Bas a shot - Billy Blanks is starting to get to me anyway. I’ll keep you posted on how it goes.
      And yes, UFC is fun to watch, I admit. It also keeps me motivated - I always want to go workout at the gym after I see a fight. :)

6. Jack McManus Says:
      February 26th, 2008 at 3:38 pm

The Bas Rutten workouts are some of the best….alot of pros still use them. Kimbo was using them before his last fight with Tank.

7. Mike Says:
      May 23rd, 2008 at 12:11 am

Just out of curiosity, what kind of schedule do you use for the bas rutten cd’s. I just bought the set and am trying to figure out how to incorporate them into my weight training schedule. I figure I’ll most likely use them either before or after my HIIT but am just curious what you guys do.
      Thanks

8. Thomas Says:
      May 24th, 2008 at 12:05 pm

@Mike: No schedule at all. I fit it in wherever I had a free 30 minutes in my day (hard to find with an infant crawling around). Some days I’d do it in the morning when I woke up, other days I’d do it at night after dinner. Not much help I’m afraid, but there you go :)

Comments